Sunday, January 31, 2010

In the Works

I've picked fabric for a new quilt. This one is a big deal - it's for us. All my friends have quilts I've made for their babies, my kids have quilts I've made, but the Mr. and I do not. I want to get this one right. My first thought was just yellow, orange and green. Then I realized that those were the colors in my childhood bed room. Not there is anything wrong with them - I'd be thrilled to come across some of the linens in a thrift store, as one of my college roommates once did, but I feared creating a 1970's flashback that I would not love. So I'm adding some blue and a dash of red.

I am loving this quilt by urban.patchwork and am hoping to make blocks in a similar style, as I think that would suit both our tastes. I've already had a request for no flowers, so I know it can't be feminine. I'm also trying to do something that's not a log cabin, as I feel I've done that a lot as of late. I sure do love them though! This seems like a good direction.


And I'll also be pulling scraps to use in the quilt. Here's my scrap sorting method - kitty litter buckets. Really, they work quite well. With the addition of the kittens, we've been going through it like crazy and I will soon have a bucket for every color (I'm up to 8, but can't show you all of them as this area is a mess). They fit under my sewing table and with the lids on, can actually stack two high. Of course, they aren't the prettiest things to lo0k at and at some point I'd like to make a skirt for my table so that things look a little less junky, but to be honest, it will take a lot more than a table skirt to keep my area from looking junky. Baby steps though.

1 comment:

Dolly said...

It's going to be great ~!~
And it's about time, huh?

I love the organizational idea.....I put a long tablecloth on my cutting table, with the long part covering the front space, just to hide the bins and tubs stacked underneath. Organization is key, but it isn't always beautiful !