Monday, January 4, 2010

The Last of Christmas

The tree has been undecorated and moved to the curb (sad). The undecorating part of Christmas is not a favorite of mine. After all the warmth and glow that the lights and decorations bring, the new year feels sort of bare and cold. Especially cold right now, given the temperatures! I'm currently gathering some of my favorite pieces of artwork from the girls and working on getting them into frames with the grand idea of rearranging all our wall art some time soon. Hopefully that will add some new cheer and warmth back into the house. I'm also slightly fixated on painting some walls white. I feel like it's my tendency to add a smidgen of brown to everything and right now I'm longing for crisper, cleaner colors. We shall see. I've been perusing the galleries on flickr and have lots of decorating itches to scratch right now.


And one last handmade Christmas gift to share with you. Jim was sweet enough to make six of these in the days leading up to Christmas. I had seen these on maya*made and thought they would be great kid gifts. He did a great job of making these out in the garage just as the temperature started to drop. Perhaps it will be my tradition to hit him up with a wood working project every other year, as it was two years ago that we collaborated on these. I think the kids will (one day) appreciate having hand made gifts from the both of us.

2 comments:

Dolly said...

What a wonderful idea......definitely do it !

For a very brief one and a half year period, my husband carved wooden spoons. The carving came out of seemingly nowhere, but we accumulated a nice little collection of the finished spoons. Some were given as gifts, and he even made an oversized set for my daughter to hang on her kitchen wall.
Unexpectedly, he had a stroke, and lost the ability to use his right hand in the usual way. Suddenly, the spoons became a priceless reminder of talents that we take for granted. I know that my daughter feels the same way.

Not to be a bummer,......we may have a lifetime more of doing what we do best, but just keep giving those gifts from the heart AND the hands.......they go right back TO the heart !

jenn said...

we totally love ours...thank you thank you!!!!