Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Baby Gift in a Jiffy


Quick and easy...I can't complain. This quilt would have been done Sunday afternoon if I hadn't gotten sidetracked by the note cards. As it was, I finished binding it yesterday, less than three days after I started it. It measures 40" long by 28" wide, so it's not a wimpy size, which I would have expected of myself if I was going to make a quilt in three days. I imagine that the bigger you go with this type of quilt, the more laborious it may become, as you have to spin it around so often due to the small size of the blocks. This sews up so fast though, and is such a great way to use up all those scraps. Between the note cards and this style of quilt, my qualifications for scraps are pretty liberal now. One day I will show you how I store all my scraps. I'll give you one hint right now....kitty litter - yup, that's your hint.



I love the texture that comes with this quilt. I am imagining (hoping) that this could be loved by little people who often like things with some texture. Perhaps this will come to be a lovey that has little fingers running across it as a sweet girls falls asleep. The backing is flannel for extra cuddly softness. You can find the details on how to make one of these for yourself back on this post.

The Mr. is thinking something like this might be nice for us, but only fill in some areas with squares. I guess then, I could just quilt squares into the top to help hold the layers together. Something to think about. I think he is thinking that I really ought to make us something, and I think it would be ironic if he's dreaming up quilt projects for me while I dream up wood working projects for him. Guess we're meant to be.

7 comments:

Beth said...

Hiya Colleen,
No doubt you and Jimmy are meant to be. ;)
I have one question about the quilt. Are you worried about fraying? Or will the stitching keep the fraying from becoming a problem? Thanks. You're the best.

Frogdancer said...

Funny. A couple of weeks ago I made a quilt in 3 days from one of Amanda-Jean's tutorials too! Mine was a 53" X 68" Zig Zag quilt for my son's best friend.

I'm interested to see that this was also a quick one. From the smallness of the scraps, it doesn't give that impression. Lovely job!

Renee said...

I love it! I have been saving scraps from the current baby quilt I am making to make a matching doll sized ticker tape quilt too. Yours is beautiful! I love the colours :)

Jenny said...

Oh that's a pretty quilt :D

SEWButterfly said...

It turned out wonderfully!

Amanda Jean said...

it's beautiful! i can hardly believe you made it in 3 days!

Karee said...

darling ticker tape baby quilt. love the soft colors you have used. well done!