Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions


I use to make my new year resolutions in February, after all the chaos of the holidays had passed and I felt like I might have a chance at keeping them. Then I realized that even that was too ambitious for me. This year though, I have some goals. First, since we rang in the new year with the girls, I took the occasion as an opportunity make some changes for them. We aren't eating in the living room any more, which won't save the current couches, but might save any future furniture and, in an effort to save furniture, we are now only coloring at the table. Perhaps this will keep any more artwork from appearing on the TV, couch, floor, you name it. And for myself, amongst other things, I would really like to be able to give more (and more and more) handmade gifts that the recipients will actually be happy to receive.

And lucky me, I have to opportunity to put the plan into action just three days into the new year, as we have a birthday party to go to tomorrow for a four year old friend. I thought I'd make a Black Apple doll to start with, and then last night, as I was trying to fall asleep, I felt like she needed something to go with her, so today I found the tutorial for this little bag over at Lula Louise. It came together super fast, just like the doll, and together, I think they make a cute set. The bag is reversible, and while I'd prefer for what I've got as the inside to be the outside, I didn't think about the perils of using a directional pattern when I made the doll. Not a problem for the doll, but for the purse, half is right side up and half is upside down...a problem that continues to follow me in sewing. So something to think about when your fabric pattern isn't non-directional. Now there's a certain little girl working on turning six under this roof in a matter of weeks. What to make for her?

No comments: