Saturday, January 24, 2009

Quilting up a Quickie


This baby quilt didn't exist on Thursday afternoon. I've known I had a baby shower coming up for a good long while, but just didn't know what I was going to make. Thursday night I had the bright idea to start a quilt that I was sure I could whip up quickly. This took more time than I would have estimated and required a late night last night, but I got it done. Thursday night I got all the rectangles cut out and decided on the layout. Then I came to the realization that my quick assembly plan was actually going to take some time. I'd thought that appliqueing the inset rectangles onto the larger ones would be a huge time saver, but in fact, the applique process took a good bit of time and just measuring everything and trying to keep it even, square and all that good stuff was also a good bit of effort. Sarah was very tolerant of me on Friday afternoon and I was able to get all the applique done and the top assembled. Quilting, binding and all that good stuff took about another three and a half hours on Friday night, but come 12:30 AM this morning, it was done. I quilted in the ditch around each rectangle, then around the inset rectangles and then again inside the smaller rectangles. An all over pattern may have hidden a few mistakes a bit better, but I liked the idea of sticking with the geometry of the rectangle and my vocabulary of quilting patterns is pretty limited right now. For now I'm just thankful I got it done in time. Phew!
Crummy photo was hurridly taken in the few minutes between it coming out of the dryer and having to wrap it.

1 comment:

amy said...

I am impressed at your productivity. You are kicking butt in the new year. I hope when I see you Monday some of your good habits will rub off on me. The quilt looks great. I like the applique squares.