Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Birthday Season Draws Near



Phew. I can scratch something off my "to do" list. My birthday gift for my nephew is done. Last year he remarked that "clothes don't make good gifts", so I'm slightly hesitant that decorations for his room will fall into the same category, but we shall see. Erin, you can give me the cold hard truth, I can take it.




Close on the heals of James' bunting, is Rachel's - here's the name portion of hers. It's ready to be assembled, but I feel like I need to do something to make the letters stand out a bit more. The triangles are already sewn together, so if I were to outline them with any sort of sewing, it would go through both layers. I'm not sure if that matters or not. Perhaps just a bolder color of embroidery floss in a chain stitch around them? I don't know. I opted for a patchwork flag as a way to incorporate some of that colorful and fun groovy square pattern in the middle. I bought it quite a while ago and have been saving it for something special. There is enough to make Sarah's as well. They've both seen me working on James' gift, and asked why I can't make one for them, so hopefully they will like them. The girls both have wide shelves over the expanse of windows in their rooms, and I thought these would be fun to hang from the shelves. I'll post of photo when it's done and hanging.



There's more gifts to be made and a lot more birthdays on the way. It makes that post-Christmas slump that seems to happen a bit of a hassle as the majority of the birthdays we celebrate seem to fall in the first three months of the new year. So, back to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Room decor and clothing are two entirely different worlds! James is VERY much into his room (he has all his paper outer space creations hanging from the ceiling) so I'm sure he will absolutely LOVE this!!