Saturday, January 10, 2009

Looking Out My Kitchen Window


This is what I see as I look out the kitchen window that is over the sink. The room is somewhat dark most of the time due to no lighting and old, dark studs for walls. I like the way the old insulation on the sill adds a softness to the view. Makes it downright homey, doesn't it?


Sarcasm aside, things do seem to be progressing. While this view might not look like much, the horizontal, yellow wires running through the studs mean that Jim's moved on to wiring. Whoo hoo! He spent today putting in outlets and fixture housings in the ceiling. And....he says he on track to drywall next weekend, when his brother will return to help. Could it be? The end of the Appalachian shack look is at hand? I'm excited, but holding my breath yet.


We are not in the clear yet though. Last weekend it became clear that the second bank of windows was terribly crooked. Since the floors are now level and the cabinets will be level, the amount the windows sloped wasn't really something we could ignore. So Jim leveled them. But do you see a problem with the above picture? Yes, that is the outside peeking through under the widow. Thankfully we are in the South and experiencing a mild winter! Another wall has a similar problem with a nice circle cut out of the exterior boards. Apparently some sort of a plug fell out. Now we have a handy dandy hole to stick our finger through to see if it's raining or not. And as a special treat, Jim also wired the stove again so that I can heat food in something other than a microwave or toaster oven. We celebrated with frozen pizza tonight. Livin' the high life, I tell ya!

I've started working on a bunting for Rachel's birthday. I decided to make it patchwork. I'm hoping that was the right decision and that I will be able to keep a straight line. I'm not the most precise sewer in the world. I've spent more time that I should have browsing the Ga-ga for Garlands group on Flickr. It's got my wheels a turnin'!

No comments: