Monday, November 10, 2008

Works in Progress

There are two WIPs going on at our house right now. Jim's got one and so I do. Mine will be done first, I'm pretty sure. I had to go full speed ahead on this baby quilt on Friday night and Saturday, as the shower was Sunday afternoon. As it was, I had to give the quilt without any binding on it and then take it back with me. I already know what the binding will be (the fabric at the center of each square), but was running out, so hopefully Hobby Lobby will have some this morning. Otherwise it will be on to plan B, which currently does not exist. This was my first attempt at free motion quilting a quilt of any size and only my second attempt at trying it at all. The first time being the small sample the other day. I have to say, it is much easier to maneuver a 10" square around and get results that you are happy with than a 40" square. I am definitely still a beginner with much to learn, but I was relatively happy with the results. Tension seems to be more important than I'd have thought, and my speed seems to effect how the back looks. I opted for a variegated pink thread for the top and pale pink for the solid back, hoping that the variegation's would blend into the red, but that was not the case, so the quilting is VERY visible in places. And, I do hope that it softens up after it goes through the wash, because right now it is just shy of standing on its own. Not exactly baby soft. Once this one is done I've got to keep on keeping on, with one for the other twin and one for my niece who never got a welcome to the world present this summer.



And Jim's work in progress.....say goodbye to the room that has been not much of anything to us thus far. I like to call it the "un-room". It is right off the dining room and between the kitchen and a bedroom. One day, hopefully soon, the wall that separates it from the kitchen will be gone and our kitchen will double in length. Oddly enough, we are having a hard time getting contractors to get back to us with quotes. I thought that in these "though economic times" they would be happy for work. Guess not. Saturday Jim tore out all the drywall that was covering plaster and lath. Sunday that plaster and lath was ripped out. Now it's an odd shell of a room with more destruction and demolition to look forward to. Don't look for lots of holiday baking here - I think Publix will be taking care of that for us this year.

So no shortage of things for either of us to do right now. Good thing this time of year isn't busy ; )

1 comment:

amy said...

Oh goodness, I see bare walls behind Mr Jim. I bet he is excited to be getting started. Your kitchen is going to be soooooo... beautiful.

How long did all that free motion take? It looks incredible. The colors of the quilt are very pretty.