Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Look Mom, no feed dogs!


I'm playing a bit of hookie this morning. I dropped Rachel off at school, then Sarah at preschool and instead of heading to the Y, grocery shopping, or doing anything else, I headed home and did some sewing. I've got a baby shower on Sunday (for twins) and had ideas of two baby quilts. As it stands right now, I will be lucky to give one quilt, almost finished. Is it tacky to give an unfinished gift and then take it back to finish? I hope the Momma doesn't think so! So I got all the squares done for the first quilt and can't go any further until I hit the fabric store, so I got a wild hair and decided that I'd give free motion quilting a twirl for the first time. I know not what I do, but I was pretty excited. This is a leftover square from another baby gift, so I decided to practice on it. While there is no doubt a learning curve, I think that I actually get the idea of it and may try it on one of the quilts for Sunday (if I get that far). I can see the benefits of using a thread that will blend with as much of the top as possible. The quilting on this, with the white thread that was already in my machine, looks much better on the yellow fabrics, versus the red ones. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities I can now start to explore and the idea of making a quilt and going beyond stitching in the ditch is pretty darn exciting too! But first....I need to go clean the bathrooms before I have to go get Sarah.

1 comment:

amy said...

Looks pretty amazing... you should definitely do it. Playing hooky is good tomorrow is my hooky day. Enjoy.