Monday, March 17, 2008

In preparation for Easter

It seems like we are moving from one holiday to another at lightening speed these days. Both the girls' birthdays are now behind us and before we've fully recovered from that, Easter is on our heels. Aside from printing out some leprechaun coloring pages, we pretty much had to forgo St. Patrick's Day today. Just not enough time to prepare for everything! Yesterday evening we sat down to do some eggs Martha Stewart style. My aunt has done these for a few years now, and was kind enough at Christmas to make up a kit for us - she sent everything but the eggs. A good thing indeed! I blew out most of these using the Blas-Fix egg blower that she sent, but didn't really have a plan for all the yolk and whites, so I did hard boil a few as well. Of course, the hard boiled ones are the prettiest ones and I will be sad to crack them open.


The girls really enjoyed doing this. I was a bit hesitant about them handling the empty eggs, so they chose the silks to wrap the eggs in and I did the wrapping. This is really as easy as wrapping pieces of silk around the eggs, wrapping a piece of cotton tightly around that, securing with a twist tie and boiling in a pot of water and vinegar. The results are so much fun! The big unveiling was a big hit with all of us. Now if I can just keep them from getting broken!




It's beginning to look like spring outside as well as in around here. No wonder I can hardly breathe and my throat feels like it's swelling shut. Ahhh.. spring is in the air!


1 comment:

amy said...

Your eggs are beautiful. I am going to have to look into one of those egg blower devices. We started blowin' out some eggs yesterday and 1 hour of work yielded 3 broken eggs and only 2 completed hollow eggs. I think we might be boiling some soon. Spring looks wonderful.