Tuesday, September 8, 2009

On the Move


That pile of squares from a week or so ago is now a third smaller. I finished this earlier today. It is now, officially, the largest quilt I have quilted, which still isn't very big. I went just shy of a twin, with the idea of it being a throw. It's actually wide enough for a twin bed though, and just a tidge shy of being long enough. That's where my "rough math" comes into play. The above pictures is before it got tossed into the wash - still all nice and crisp.


Here it is after it's been washed and all nice and crinkly. This is the one I did with several different white fabrics surrounding the blocks, in no particular rhyme or reason. It works for me. As a whole, you don't really notice it, which I think I like and up close it's not distracting, so hooray for laziness, frugality, impatience what have you. At least it worked!! I also went a different route for the backing. I was all set to buy about five yards of white fabric and piece it together when I got to thinking about just buying a flat sheet. Since I was lacking in patience that day, and couldn't find just a flat sheet, but I bought a full sheet set and figured I now have a second piece of backing and two spare pillow cases. Plus, the set was only a few dollars more than what five yards of mediocre fabric would have been and it was wonderfully soft organic cotton, so definitely an improvement.


Jim asked who this quilt was for. Alas, another one to give away. This one will be taking quite a long airplane ride and will hopefully surprise the recipient. The next few are staying with us though. I'll be on to twin quilts for the girls that will look just like these and then on to a throw for our living room and hopefully a table runner as well. I'm actually sketching ideas and kind of glad that I am. Imagine that, a little planning might actually prove beneficial! Oh, and before that, I'm going to finish this quilt. It's been over a year. Bad Momma!

2 comments:

molly said...

Soooo beautiful. The recipient will be thrilled. :-)m

Frogdancer said...

I live a long plane ride away....

... but sadly it's not for me. I love this quilt. Absolutely love it. The colours you've chosen harmonise so well together.