Thursday, September 3, 2009

Branching Out


This isn't the branching out part....it's another quilt like this one, only larger. This will be my largest machine quilted top thus far. Wish me luck. It's pinned and ready to be tackled. Maybe tonight...if I'm feeling like a good upper body workout around 9 PM. I did buy a pair of quilting gloves, which are tacky on the palms, which I think might make the quilting process a bit easier, as long as my hands don't get too hot. I've come to my senses and am now pinning quilts on my dining room floor which is large and wood. Previously, I was using the floor around my sewing machine, which is carpeted and sort of acted like a flannel wall and didn't allow for much smoothing out of the bumps. Hardwood is much better for the task.



But hey, check this out....a new baby gift that's not a quilt and can be whipped up in an evening. Actually multiple bibs can be whipped up in an evening. The first one took a bit longer, as I made the pattern based on one of the girl's old bibs, but now they're easy peasy. I backed these with white chenille, and am now wondering if perhaps I ought to have put a layer of batting inside. Too late for the prototypes. These are going to Rachel's kindergarten teacher from last year. Actually, they're for her new baby granddaughter. The teacher knows how to sew, so hopefully the fact that these are the first two I've ever made will not be glaringly obvious to her.


And hey, what are these? My new shoes! I'm loving them!! They've made me feel spiffy all day, and worth the deal that they were!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Loving the spiffy shoes. Glad we don't live in the same city so I can buy them when I find them! ;)

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I like to make bibs once in a while, too. the ones you made are really cute