Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Progress made


I got lucky this afternoon. Sarah is only napping a few times a week, at best, and it was clear that today needed to be a nap day. Between when she fell asleep and when Rachel got home from pre-school I had almost a whole hour to myself. Did I do dishes? Nope. Did I vacuum? Nope. Did I run upstairs and try out a new freezer paper stencil? Yup. I bought a few new fabric paints to try out. I like the Jacquard Dye-na-Flow, but it is so fluid, that I've had a few problems with it seeping under the stencil. On my last project I used Jacquard Textile color and it was a bit thicker and there was no seeping. I went to Michael's today to get a jar of the Textile color in black and of course they didn't have it, so today I decided to try Pebeo Setacolor. I was happy to find that it is a thicker consistency and am happy with the results.



I had my fingers crossed after I put the paint on, as I was really worried about the stencil sticking, especially between the tines of the fork. I feel like the lines could have been a bit crisper, and I don't know if that's from the fabric paint, my ironing the stencil on, or the fabric, but all in all I am happy. I'm hoping to do a full set of these, but this would be a case where perhaps a silk screen would have been a better route to take, as it's not exactly going to be a tea party cutting out these images time and time again. And since I only see to make things to give away, these will hopefully be a gift, but I'm not saying for who or what.



So the napkins have had their start and while I work away at those, I also have this big pile of fabric that's already been washed and ironed and is waiting to turn into skirts, dresses and capri pants for the girls. I'm glad I've kicked the allergies/cold from last week - I've got things to do and people to craft for!

1 comment:

amy said...

That looks like some teeny tiny cutting for the fork. It turns out really nice. you are so good to prewash your fabric. I should do that. We are leaving tomorrow for chattanooga. I hope we can arrange a meeting.