Thursday, February 26, 2009

They're in the Mail

Rachel's artist trading cards are in the mail as of this afternoon. Have they been done and ready to mail for a week and a half? Yes. Did I not want to look like a total slacker and mail them on the absolute very last day? Yes. I am glad to see that we (she) were not grouped with a bunch of over achievers, as she has yet to receive any yet herself. I'm not complaining at all.....just really glad to see that I'm not the only one who likes to have the deadline clearly in sight before acting.

The photo doesn't show all the detail in the cards, and aside from the one in the middle you might be thinking "She's six? Really?", but let me explain. We tried our hand at mono-prints and went for a more abstract look with she then stamped on. She did insist on one rainbow painting though, being that she is a six year old girl and all. I'm not so sure she loved the whole mono-print thing and I think it may have something to do with a conversation I was involved in not too long ago about how kid's at Rachel's age are really concrete thinkers. There are right answers and wrong answers and that's that. A picture is what a picture is, and nothing more. I tried to get her to look at her prints and think about what they might remind her of, but the titles all relate to what she stamped on top. "The leaf picture", "Tall flower picture", etc. Anyhow, I think it was a learning experience for both Rachel and myself. Now I'm excited for her trades to start arriving.

Since Rachel's trading partners came from places all across the States, from as far West as Washington and as far East as New Jersey, I decided to pick up some Chattanooga brochures to send along. My kids love to pick them up when we travel, so I thought other kids might enjoy seeing something about where their partner lives. I sent a general brochure, as well as one for Rock City, the aquarium, the Choo Choo and the Bluff View Arts District. We threw in some stickers and some cool chip board animal cut outs as well. Hopefully they will be fun packages to receive.

No comments: