Thursday, February 5, 2009

Birthday Bunting


Here's Rachel's birthday bunting, all sewn up. I ended up leaving the letters as they were. I may try a freezer paper stencil for Sarah's, as I noticed Alicia Paulson did in her book, Stitched In Time. Perhaps that's the trick. For this bunting, I cut two strips of the same fabric 2.5" high and 13" long and one contrasting fabric 3" high and 13" long, then sewed them together with the contrasting fabric in the middle. From that I cut three triangles out of each piece that were 6.25" across the top and whose sides were 9" long. I also cut triangles out of a different print which is the backside of the bunting and used the same fabric for the whole back. I used a .25" seam allowance and a chopstick to get the points pointy once I turned them right side out. Easy peasy.


If you haven't seen the post over at Wise Craft or House on Hill Road, and you have kids ages four or older who like to craft, be sure and check out the Artist Trading Card swap that they're organizing for kids. Rachel is excited to start and even more excited to get mail. Kids will be paired up with similarly aged kids and they will each make five to send. Deadline to sign up is Friday and cards have to be mailed by 2/28. You can send an email to atckidswap@gmail.com with your child's name, address and age to get them included. You'll get your group emailed to you on Monday. Now I've just told you just about everything, but go read their posts as well. And if someone can tell me how to keep my almost there four year old from feeling very upset at not getting to participate, please let me know!

3 comments:

amy said...

The bunting looks great. That is something they are going to love forever. I signed the girls up for the kids ATC. They are pretty excited. I will have the girls add Sarah to their list.

Beth said...

Hi Colleen,
These buntings look great. I can't wait to see photos of them in the girls' rooms. ;) I'm hoping to put one together for Julian... I have one question. How did you affix the letters? I'm guessing they are sewed on...
Thanks!
Beth

colleen said...

Hey Beth!
The letters are super easy - no sewing involved. I just cut a piece of Ultra Heat & Bond, affixed it to a square of fabric, cut the letters out (just remember to cut the letters backwards) and then adhere it to the bunting. The Heat & Bond products are a double sided adhesive. You iron it to one fabric, let it cool, peel the paper backing off and then adhere it to the other fabric - easy peasy. You can get it at JoAnn's, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, etc. Have fun with Julian's!