Saturday, September 20, 2008

Facing the music....or in this case, the fabric




Well, I did it. After seeing this Wee Wonderfuls post the other day, I got inspired. A comment on Wee Wonderfuls led me to this tutorial and got me all itchy to tackle my own stash. I got all...or at least most, of my fabric out of boxes and onto a bookshelf. There wasn't room for the seven boxes that have upholstery fabric in them, or all the small pieces of yardage and fat quarters, or all the cool sheets waiting to be turned into something, but at least I can see the majority of what I have. Biggest surprise so far....Jim hasn't commented on the bookshelf full of fabric yet. Of course, I haven't said "I need to go buy some fabric." to him yet either. I became a little worried that the girls might think I'd just set up a fabric buffet for them, but so far all Rachel has said was "Is this all your fabric? Cool.". And Sarah has left it alone (miracle of miracles)! The space where the bookshelf is has room above it for about four more shelves, so I'd eventually like to have storage above it, or get a taller shelf so that everything can finally live together. I do think this is going to help me immensely when picking out fabrics for projects though. I found a few more surprises as well - like a yard of baby blue animal print. What the? And while I look at all this fabric, I can honestly say that I am lacking in areas. Three piles of blue and yet not enough of the right blues. And not enough apple green or the right orange. I "need" more good browns as well. At least now I have an idea of what I should be keeping my eye out for when I go wandering through fabric stores.

1 comment:

amy said...

I am green. You have a great collection. You are right about our minds being in the same place this week. I unloaded some of my boxes this week too. And Oh my Word do I have some ugly prairie fabrics. Surely I will use them one day right?