Monday, September 1, 2008

An interruption

I'm sorry to interrupt all the kindergarten, cute kid talk here, but by george, I actually finished a project! This baby quilt came out of the wash today. It's a gift for a friend's very special little boy. I can't wait to take it to him on Wednesday, when I'll drop some dinner off as well. After Rachel's log cabin sewing project for school, I thought it might be a good way to go about some baby quilts that were different from all the 4" square quilts I have made previously. This was fun, went quickly and made me think I knew what I was doing...until I realized I didn't. As it turns out, all I've ever learned about quilting I learned from here, a 2001 issue of Martha Stewart Babies. Clearly I have a lot more learning to do. Like how to get all three layers smooth and taught while quilting. Usually I have trouble with the back, so this time I thought I'd outsmarted myself when I worked from the back, smoothing it out and pinning it, but guess what....there is now bunching in the sashing surrounding the blocks. Nice. It's not too bad though, and maybe the baby won't notice. I also managed to to this quilt almost entirely out of fabric I had on hand. All I had to buy was the solid for the sashing and the horseshoe fabric that I made the bias trim out of. Just couldn't resist that to complete the cowboy theme.



3 comments:

amy said...

OMG Colleen, that quilt is the bomb. Seriously, I love it. All the fabrics look great together. You must have a really good stash.

sliceofisaaclife said...

you rock colleen! seriously! i know what you mean about wanting things to be perfect, but roby has taught me that there is definitely beauty in imperfection! to some extent that is the nature of homemade items! (at least that is what i tell myself ;) i have started and stopped attempting to make quilts ever since i was a young girl. rachel has gotten farther than i have, in fact! i really do hope i can accomplish my goal one of these days. I would *love* to make a quilt out of olive's outgrown clothes to give to her when she is older...i think you blogged about a project like that? or maybe i read it on the wee wonderfuls site? do you know which i mean? i thought it was such a lovely idea...so maybe i will have to consult you about this project at our next bingo extravaganza! ;) i miss you girl, it's been awhile!

Meredith said...

Colleen, I have enjoyed your blog from afar, not yet commenting! In regards to the bunching problem with the layers, I've read about a special sewing machine foot called a "walking foot" or "even-feed foot". It is supposed to feed the layers of fabric simultaneously. I have been frustrated many times with this very problem and have used disgusting amounts of inner profanity, so I plan to go out this weekend and purchase my own. Happy sewing!