Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hello, I'm sorry, I lost myself



Apparently I thought I was Martha Stewart or Bree Van De Kamp. Rachel had snack duty at school this past week and while my blog has not seen any action as of late, my kitchen feels like it has been working overtime. For some reason, I could not leave well enough alone and just go to Sam's and buy five big boxes of five different things and call it a week. No, I felt like I had to make as much as possible despite the fact that other kids have brought pretzels, raisins, "fruit" snacks and crackers. For Monday I made Chex mix, omitting all nuts and adding Cheerios and pretzels instead. Tuesday was Rice Krispie treats. I had an important dinner date with a good friend on Tues. night so the kids had to settle for cheese crackers on Wednesday, but I made up for taking it easy by making the Sneaky Chef's Chocolate Chip Cookies. Not only did I make these, but I made a triple batch and made them in Wilton pans that enabled me to turn them into giant cookie lollipops. I cannot tell you how long this took, but I'm pretty sure it was all afternoon. I was nervous about sending these for the kids (although it didn't stop me from doing it) because they are made with very little sugar compared to normal cookies and they use oats, wheat germ, whole wheat flour and white bean puree as well as the usual ingredients. Rachel reported that they were a hit with most of the kids though, so I was happy (and tired). For Friday I sent fall cupcakes. Those Hershey Kiss/mini Nilla wafer creations are supposed to be acorns. A link from the Hello, Cupcake! blog took me to this site and I couldn't resist giving them a try after finding a box of the mini Nilla wafers at Dollar Tree. I skipped the walnuts around the edge in light of nut allergies and had to decorate two with just fall sprinkles to accommodate the two chocolate allergies in her class. Imagine, allergic to chocolate! Imagine, the pounds I could shed! What a cruel allergy though. We'll take the Brazil nut allergy at our house over just about any other. I guess a radish allergy wouldn't be too bad either. Anyhow, snack duty is over until 2009 rolls around. The other kindergarten class takes a day at a time. While it doesn't eat up a whole week, it is nice to only have to worry about it twice a year. Time to ditch the kitchen and hook up with my sewing machine again!

3 comments:

amy said...

You have been a busy lady. I think I will give the sneaky chef cookies a try. It looks like they have passed the taste test. The acorn cupcakes are too cute. See you tomorrow.

the isaacs said...

you know how i love cutely decorated cupcakes! very cute!

Carrie said...

I'm craving some cupcakes!!! Check out my blog, you have been tagged.