Monday, May 19, 2008

I finished something!

I haven't been completely idle as of late. Rachel's last day of school is Wednesday (!!!), so I had her draw a picture of her with her teachers, Miss Cathy and Miss Lisa, and I made these little embroideries for them. I made two, one for each teacher, and I am pretty sure that mass-production is not something I'd be very interested in. The first was fun. Having to do the exact same thing again was a good bit less fun. Hopefully it will be something that they will appreciate and will always remind them of my sweet girl. Both teachers have said that this pre-school class is the best they've ever had and I am so happy that she got to spend a year with such a great group of kids.

The frames I used are shadow boxes that I bought at Hobby Lobby. They have a black background, which is how I left the one I made my parents, but for these images, black seemed too stark and harsh, so I covered it with a neutral loosely woven cotton. The black still shows through a bit, which I like. I think it gives it some depth, but the harshness is gone. I was happy with how that worked out. I just used fabric glue and glued around the edges so it wouldn't show up. Here's hoping it stays! Nothing like giving a gift that later falls apart. That is my biggest fear in giving a handmade gift. So far no-one has ever told me that something I made them fell apart, but then again, maybe they are just being polite.


1 comment:

amy said...

Those are great teacher gifts. Did you do the bodies and hair with fabric or embroidery? I couldn't tell from the picture. I love the eyes.
I am doing a similar project for Helena's teachers. My version is more "semi homemade".
We still have until June 6th until school is out. You are lucky. Helena is ready to be done and is crying alot about getting out of bed in the morning.