Monday, May 5, 2008

Getting off my duff


Something has taken hold of me. A feeling of ..... blah. Lots of ideas rumbling around in my head, a list of things I want/need to get made as Mother's Day and the end of the "school year" nears, but still, I haven't been doing much. This stack of books (From bottom to top: Christmas at Home, Kaffe Fassett's Museum Quilts, The Crafter Culture Handbook by Amy Spencer, The Creative Family by Amanda Soule, The Pocket Paper Engineer, V1, The Quilter's Block Bible by Celia Eddy and 1000 Great Quilt Blocks by Maggi McCormick Gordon) landed in my lap last weekend, after my birthday, and hopefully it ill give me the boost I need to get back into the swing of things. I have already read through The Creative Family in its entirety and love love loved it. It is motivating me to say no to the TV more and suggesting drawing, stickering, coloring, whatever more. Clean up can be a pain with a 3 and 5 year old, but Rachel kept asking yesterday "When will the craft be ready", so that is reassuring.
Tonight, as soon as I finish with this, I'm going to start embroideries of a drawing Rachel did of she and her two pre-school teachers to give them at the end of the year. Only two more weeks of pre-K to go. Heaven help me!! She has loved "school" so much this year, I hope it will carry over into kindergarten next year. Work on my Mom's Mother's Day gift is slow. When I watched the show they seemed to be able to slap one together in about twelve minutes. What I didn't think about was that every time you paint a piece of paper or dye a piece of fabric, you have to wait for it to dry. And then there's the huge amount of time spent arranging and rearranging and not being able to execute the idea that seemed so clear and attainable in my head. Hopefully it will come together, but I'm not so sure it will be what I had intended it to be. We shall see.
So, hopefully. Something crafty. Soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Colleen,
Sometimes you just need a break. The energy it takes to mommy the kids is at times all I've got. So everything else can wait for a while. It should be fun right? I checked out that Kaffe Fasset book from the library. It is currently overdue, but I hate to return it.
I hope you feel more energized soon, have your tried COQ10. IT is funny to say, which I like, but it is also a good energy booster. It is my new b complex. Talk to you soon.