Friday, February 22, 2008

Care for some snails?



We have a snaily yard. It's really quite odd, and at times, unnerving, as I worry that I will squish one, possibly one of the girls favorites of the moment. When I do hear a crunch, I try not to call attention to it. This was Sarah's collection from today. They are all deemed to be mommies, daddies, or babies. She wanted to bring these in to play with, but I have to draw the line somewhere with the snail play and for me, that line is the front door. Thankfully, my girly girls seem to draw their own line at snails and no other bugs or creepy crawlies bring them any sort of entertainment or amusement. In fact, I believe that our pediatrician's ears may still be ringing from the scream Sarah let out when she saw a fly on the floor when we were there in January. It really took him off guard and it appeared that he had not fully recovered before we left. Flies and ants...those scare the begeebies out of her, but a handful of crawling snails is all good.


This guy crawled out of the woods while we were outside as well. He must have been hanging with the snails until we stumbled up on him. He's made from a wool sweater that I ran through the wash a few times to felt. It felted up really well and this was a good one evening project. Instant gratification, my kind of project! The inspiration came from the book Plush-O-Rama, which someone was very sweet to give me for Christmas. In return, this is for her son's third birthday, which is just around the corner. Wow, a birthday that hasn't passed yet and I have the gift already!

1 comment:

sliceofisaaclife said...

ok kids are hilarious...scared of ants and flies and loving the creepy crawlies :) i thought owen was the only known person scared of flies! i hope they never see one together or chaos will ensue!

love the felted creature...very cute!
(felting is good when you want it to happen...i have quickly realized that i need to start knitting washable wool baby blankets and hats as i've received a few confessions of my gifts turning into mini versions of their former selves. sigh.)