Monday, August 3, 2009

Time to Get Crackin'

This has been a busy summer. Lots of road travel for the family, busy days at home, lots of here and there and all over the place. School starts next week. I'm actually looking forward to it because we'll have to stay put for extended periods of time (even though I've already been thinking of traveling over fall break). Last night we returned from out last trip of the summer (I think/hope). We spent a week plus in Michigan visiting first with good friends from college and then venturing further North to spend a week with my Grandparents and ended with a family celebration commemorating my Grandma's 90th year, which will commence in September. By the time her birthday rolls around they will be 90 and 91 and have been married 67 years. They set the bar high!

That's the background story and more pictures will follow, but here's the point of this post. I've been working on my fabric stash. It hadn't seen many new additions as of late and I needed some inspiration. On our hike up I-75, I managed to time our lunch break with a lightening fast trip through Ikea to pick up a few things I had been hunting for, namely the big gray organic flower print. The girls got to play in the play area, I got fabric, we ate in the cafeteria and then hopped back in the car. It was seamless (pardon the pun).



Then, my friend Anne was willing to watch my kids while I went to JoAnn Fabrics. This is a BIG DEAL for me, especially since the closest one to me is a two hour drive. I had enough to time to thoroughly browse, think, rethink and get what I was looking for. I owe her big for that one!!



And then I hit some thrift stores once I reached my final destination. My vintage sheet collection got a really nice boost this past week and I'm so excited to put them to use!! I found lots of other good treasures while thrifting, including some fabrics, and will share those later, as I ran out of daylight today. Why is is that thrift stores in other towns are always better than the ones in my town? I'm not sure if that's a perception or a reality, but it feels like a reality.


So, despite the fact that no, I don't have enough fabric, I do have more than I did two weeks ago and hopefully, it will be getting put to use soon. Very soon.



1 comment:

Beth said...

It's so great to hear your grandparents are doing so well, and that you all got to celebrate together!
I love the new fabric, but I'm especially excited about the vintage sheet collection. It's refreshing to hear you refer to yours as a vintage collection, because Jonathan thinks I have some sort of addiction to "old sheets." Whew. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who loves them! And I agree with you about the thrift stores in other towns!