Monday, July 7, 2008

Garden Hijacking

This is not my yard. I wish it was, but it is not. Instead, it's my next door neighbors. He's out of town for a few weeks and I have "watering duty". At my house, it is a task I'd take lightly, but in his yard, it seems like a much more serious job. We have been neighbors for about five years now, and while I see his yard daily, it has just recently struck me that it is incredibly beautiful.

I have no idea how you might describe his gardening style, but I guess I'd call it eclectic. What I've really noticed as of late is how he has layered so many things, not just plants, but also furniture, pots, bird houses, tools, bits of found objects....you name it. All this layering also gives the garden an incredible amount of texture to be found.


There's the texture of all the different plants, from flowers to fruits and veggies to shrubs and plants and there's also paint peeling in places, rust forming on things, moss on rocks, different types of planters, miscellaneous things hanging on the walls, fountains, lights, you name it. Everything comes together to make a really beautiful yard. Or garden. I don't know what to call it.


I think I have another week of watering duty, and I'm hoping to be able to grab some more pictures. I'm planning to use some of the photographs to make a set of cards for him for his birthday. Or, if I move as quickly as I usually do, for Christmas. You can see more pictures from his yard over on flickr.

No comments: