Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer at Grandma's


I've been moving right along on my new quilt, and by "my", I really mean that it's going to be mine. Except that it's going to be so soft and light and wonderful that I expect people are going to want me to share. I'm making nine patches out of vintage floral sheets from my stash. The stash I was afraid to cut into for fear no more floral sheets would come my way, but they are still showing up, so I can relax while I cut more squares for this quilt.



And cut more, I must. Because I am not a planner, I just made what seemed like a big pile of 6" square blocks and figured I had enough for a quilt. And I did have enough...for a baby quilt. But for a quilt somewhere in the size of a twin, I am going to need more blocks. I've completed four rows and will probably want it at least 10 or twelve rows long, so I've got some work ahead of me - but really, is it work? Not in the least.

As I piece these blocks I am flooded with memories of summers at my Grandparent's house in Northern Michigan. The prints on the sheets remind me of the sheets on the beds at their house, their cool touch reminds me that there was air conditioning at their house and not ours. I was lucky enough to be able to spend a good bit of my summers with them, with their big back yard, their circular driveway perfect for riding bikes and roller skating in, their big basement that we played in and oh yeah, that lake across the road. I was prepared to share some horribly embarrassing pictures from my summers with you - pictures of excellent 70's fashions, bad hair and general grubbiness from playing outside all day, but I can't find them. Honestly!

My quilt will have to take a respite though, as I'm off on Wednesday to spend a week with my Aunt in California. A whole, responsibility free, obligation free, child free week. Hopefully I will return with a new energy and lots of good thrifted finds! Until then, enjoy your summer!

3 comments:

Dolly said...

Oh, have a blast out there.......I wish you many good finds that you can share with us on your safe return.

jenn said...

you had no air conditioning???? Is it already time for sunny cali??? wow...I know you will have such a good time...miss you lots. hopefully we can catch up hen you return so I can see all of your goodies!!

Carrie said...

Envious of your child free week...sitting her dreaming of just of few minutes without girl drama. Hadley had me in tears within 5 minutes of picking her up today!!!! Have a safe trip and enjoy!!! hmmm it is having me type in war as my word verification, think it knows what I have been dealing with?