Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Confession


Back in March (or there 'bouts), I went to a baby shower. It was a shower for a second child...gender to be a surprise. I was stumped for a gift - what could I make (quickly) that they wouldn't already have and could be gender neutral? I think I was also in the midst of all sorts of other things that left me not very focused and managing my time poorly. I gave a big box of diapers and wipes. That is NOT the kind of baby gift I like to give. But I did tell myself that once the baby arrived I would make a "welcome to the world" gift that would suit him or her. The mother mentioned that her daughter had a taggie blanket that was her lovey, so I thought I'd make the new baby a taggie quilt. Enter unused squares from baby Charlie's quilt, some fabric tags from scraps and voila, a much more presentable baby gift.

I put the top together just like any other quilt and edged it with the light blue fabric, which I now regret choosing - it should have had a brighter, more fun color edge, but I was trying to make it more boyish. I made the tags the same way I make my bias tape, although it's not on the bias. I sewed around the edges to secure it and then pinned them facing in, to the top of the quilt. I pinned the backing and batting, right sides facing the right side of the quilt top, and sewed it together leaving about a 6" opening at the bottom. Then I turned it all right side out, sewed the opening up and free motion quilted it. Now all that's left is to get this over to the new little fella.

No comments: