Monday, August 25, 2008

Rachel's big give


Today was a big day. Rachel had her first full day of kindergarten with all of her class. She has been so excited about school, which makes me thankful. Today was pronounced "great" with the added bonus that she brought home homework! I know I should treasure the days when homework is a great and exciting thing to her. I wonder how long it will take for the novelty to wear off. I also wonder if part of the novelty was a counting game that came complete with a baggie of gummie bears to use and eat. I think Sarah wants homework now as well. But the day only got bigger for me, as we headed to Hair a go*go after school for Rachel's first real hair cut.


TWELVE inches came off, wham bam, just like that, in six pony tails. The above photo is thanks to Monica's assistant, Jessica, as I was also video taping the occasion. I had more media that one mom could handle.


Once she had the bulk removed she had it shampooed and than shaped. Monica said she was afraid that Rachel might freak out once it was cut, but she did great. She has been so excited about this hair cut and being able to donate her hair. She sat perfectly still while having it cut and acted so grown up.

Afterwards, she got a fancy going home do - "fish tail braids". Braids done with two strands of hair instead of three. I watched her do them, but hope that I am not called upon to replicate. I'm pretty sure that hair stylists have more finger and or hands than mere mortals like me.



And so here is my new girl - looking older to me and acting much bouncier. The hair must have be weighing her down, as there was much jumping around tonight. A little extra sassiness as well at times. I'm hoping the hair cut didn't cause that as well. So later this week I will pack up the baggie full of her hair and send it off to Locks of Love so that she can share with others. We looked at the site together this weekend and she was talking about it on the way home tonight saying, "That girl was bald, Momma. BALD!!!". It was so cute. It is hard for anyone in this family to imagine not having hair, we have so darn much of it!! There's a few extra photos on Flickr and one with a funny story.

On the creative front, I'm back to pinwheels. Only took Hancocks two weeks to get my special order in. Of course the warehouse didn't send a bolt of a standard, stocked fabric along with the special order. I guess that would have shown too much thought. I wonder if they have more by now. Probably not. I may need to put pinwheels on hold for a while and whip up some baby blankets though. New babies seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days for me! Time to get off the computer and hop on the sewing machine!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, she looks so grown up and beautiful! Tell her we say congratulations!

amy said...

What a big day for your girl. She looks fantastic. I am glad she had a good first day of school.

Carrie said...

She looks adorable with her new do!!

sliceofisaaclife said...

that's awesome rachel! i know that it is a *big* deal to chop off long locks when you are so used to them...i just did the same thing 2 weekends ago, and i'm still getting used to my super short do! rachel's hair looks great, and that is so sweet how she wants to help others who need hair! way to go girl!