Friday, June 6, 2008

If I Were a Strawberry Shortcake Doll.....


My name would have to be Mulberry Pie.






Or mulberry pancakes, or any number of other mulberry treats. I tell ya, these dern mulberries have taken over my life. It is with a happy sigh that I notice that not as many are dropping on the ground these days. For a while, I was picking upwards of 12 or more cups a day. I froze 4 gallons, which basically took up my entire freezer. Some have gone to live with a friend in her spare freezer until we have time to try our hand at making jam with them. We're thinking we'll try our hand at regular jam and also maybe try freezer jam. Who knows what the last of the mulberries will turn up in!





Aside from being a slave to the mulberries, I have been working on my Mom's Mother's Day gift. Yes, that holiday that passed a good few weeks ago. I'd told her that I'd deliver her present in person, when I made a trip up in June, but what I didn't tell her was that the gift wasn't done by Mother's Day. It also wasn't done this past Monday. Or Tuesday. But that's beside the point. It's done now. And here it is. It did not turn out anything like what I'd imagined when I set off to make it. Inspiration came from an episode of America Quilts Creatively, which I talked about earlier. I think that the layering thing is a challenge for me. I'm really intrigued by the idea of building up layers, incorporating fabric, paper, paint, stamps and more into a piece , I'm just not proficient at it. At all. It was a good learning experience for me and in the process I was lucky enough to stumble up on the work of Judy Scott, who has some really beautiful images on flickr. It was one of her images that got me going in a direction that enabled me to get this finished this week. Phew! If only I could take better photographs. That's my Dad's Father's Day gift at the top, by the way. Late with one and early with the other. What's a girl to do?




1 comment:

amy said...

Colleen, that is beautiful. What a perfect gift. I never noticed how much you look like your mother. That picture is so sweet, the look on her face is priceless. She will love it. Have a great trip, See you soon, in person.